Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Faux Five



Every once in a while you have to make a blog post out of spite, and today is one of those days. Pam always says I don't document anything when we hang out, so chew on this Pam. I also want to give a plug to the Yesterday and Today, which is the Beatles cover band Pam, Jen, and I saw last night over at the Woodhaven House. Check them out at yesterdayandtodayband.com. It was a fun night all and all. The Woodhaven House had Glendale, Ozone Park, and a bit of Staten Island all compressed into one bar. I was going blind off the reflection of all the bald italian men. Then again Jen didn't mind, because she had many of them trying to dance with her. She is really a hit with the 40-60 crowd. The music was pretty good, though I must admit that I don't care for the Beatles early catalog. I think in general the Beatles get too much hype, as though they couldn't do wrong. To me if their early songs were done by Bobby Darren or some other commercial crooner of the time it wouldn't have made a difference to me. It was just white boy bubble gum pop, with no soul in it. Around the third set they played the songs that to me make the Beatles the band they are remembered as. The later songs like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Revolution" that had real soul to them. They also had one of the original Temptations come on state and sing "Mustang Sally" which is just a blues classic. Songs like that live and breathe, and when sung by people who have sung those songs for 50 years plus just came alive and become a living monument to American music.

No comments: