Thursday, February 14, 2008

Apple Fanboism collapsing upon itself

Yes ladies and gentleman that is a picture of a Macbook Air taken on an iPhone and then posted from said Macbook Air. The dimensions of Apple fanboism have imploded and you may all jump on a life boat and make a run for it. While I am destroying the universe I might as well comment about the much ballyhoed ultra thin/ultra light notebook. Being a Macbook owner, I am right at home on this thing. It really feels as though my Macbook became anorexic and grew an aluminum shell. You can literally pinch the top and bottom together. All the edges are rounded off, so if you want to slice yourself open after purchasing an $1,800 laptop for its looks, you really cant. The screen is LED backlit and is slightly brighter and saturated in colors. The screen itself does not bend back on its hinge like the macbook does. All and all I do not see the niche for this unless you are a traveler. I think a 12" Macbook Pro with full sized express port and discreet graphics in this price range would be more attractive to the average Mac fan. There are several display units around, and people are gathered around them. The performance is on par with a Macbook for average tasks. I will stick to my Macbook. For $700 less, I get the same machine with a few extra pounds.

While I was here I was able to pickup the V-Moda headphones I wanted. Amazon was taking forever to ship them so I bought them within 5 minutes. I am looking forward to trying them out with my iPhone. I also made a reservation to talk to a "genius" about the bubbling on the screen of my iPhone. It is quite minor but I wanted them to take a look at it just in case. I guess I am just being anal.

Now a comment about Apple fanboism. I plead guilty to the charges. People tend to approach me and say hey you are an Apple person, and I guess I am. Some people I guess are more elitist about it than others. Two years ago I bought a Mini and now i have a whole slew of Apple products. The products are good, the price is not as high as it is may out to be, and the service is actually quite good. These things are just tools after all, and also it is fun to make fun of Steve Balmer going on rants and throwing chairs like he is Bobby Knight. The vortex of screens that we now look at each day is becoming tough to handle. I personally look at a computer screen, a phone screen, and a TV screen. I think as a people we now interface with glass more so than we do with real flesh and protein. Give me something shiny with some glass on it and I am there baby. Let it have a touchscreen, let me have shiny icons and I will salivate all over it. All this glass makes your brain go to mush as you contemplate whether you posted first, or whether it plays doom, or blends. I guess I read Gizmodo too much.

No comments: