Friday, March 14, 2008

Shitty SXSW Report: Keeping Austin Weird



This post is dedicated to the great city of Austin, Tx and how much fun it was to be there during SXSW. I took the above picture in an alley by the UT campus. Austin has its own style to it. Lots of interesting places, lots of live music, great food, just a good time in general.

Friday kicked off with a trip to the Gingerman, which is a great bar with 90 different beers on tap. Believe me I made sure it wasn't just one beer going through a funnel. Great place, reminds me a lot of Stout in midtown. Played lots of pool with Jen and Josh. For the first time I won a game of 8 ball by sinking the 8 ball, yes I am patting myself on the back right now thinking about my greatness as I type this. There was a patio outside the bar, and there were some weird birds flying around. I swear that they were squawking at each other "I should shit on that guy".

Saturday night we kicked it up a notch. Jen and I attended the dorkbot event in the park across from the convention center and got some free beer. This becomes a theme for the weekend, lots of cheap domestic beer. Anyway, after the event Josh joins us and we start going from bar to bar on 6st street. At some point we wind up at a store called the Hatbox, and we buy hats... well Jen and I bought hats, Josh pointed and laughed. You will have to wait for pictures of that, well if my only reader is Jen, you should already know what it looks like. Anyway we go back to the Chuggin Monkey which was the first bar we went to that night, and danced the night away. I drank a bit more than I should have and remember a bit of a hangover the next day...

Now Sunday was the wildest. We go to the Web Awards hosted by the great Eugene Mirman, with a cameo by Ask A Ninja. Of course we get more free booze during the show, and this springboarded us to a night of SXSW official parties. We wait on line for the Etsy/Threadless party for a good half an hour. Once we get in, we get some free beer and then think hmm this sucks lets go somewhere else. We then go to the Gawker party at Emos. First person we see when we get there is the aforementioned Eugene Mirman. We politely say hi and he invites us to come back tomorrow and see him live. Then we go downstairs and just as we get there Jonathan Coultan is finishing his set... damnit! I snap a pic of him with Jen and he was very gracious to talk to us. We stick around another hour or so and then walk down to Club Deville for the Google party. This was the most fun of the night, maybe because we were buzzed by this point. We meet up with Cheeseburger and chatted with him for a few minutes. I then have a nice conversation with Kerry from www.passiveaggressivenotes.com.I actually passed out a card to her among others at the party, maybe I'll get 2-3 more hits, and you know get sponsors or a blank check from someone. But she was nice to talk to, she did mention she hasn't learned to ride a bike before. I still extend the invitation to her, for us to get on some training wheels and start rolling. We then ran into this guy named Jeremy and his friend who wanted to wear my hat. He had his own hat on, and we go on to trade hats for a moment, then he drew a map of Ireland for Jen... yeah random i know. We wind up the night at Pure Volume and get more free booze, insult a guy from Limewire, and was called Willie by someone.

Monday was our last night in Austin, and we did it right. We all went out to Emo's one last time, saw Eugene Mirman, Mike Birbiglia, and Michael Showalter. Well Showalter didn't make it because his flight was cancelled, but he did call in to say hi. I will say this first Mike Birbiglia almost made me throw up during his set. Ok just needed to check something there, on with the blog. Anyway I am just going to end this with Eugene Mirman's spoof of Tom Cruise so you get an idea of how funny this guy is.

No comments: